SNGF -- Create a Kinship List for An Ancestor

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 

It's Saturday Night again

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

 

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to: 

1)  Have you created a Kinship List for any of your ancestors or relatives in your genealogy software program?  If so, select an Ancestor - say, one of your great-grandparents, and create a Kinship List of all of their descendants.  Or another ancestor further back in time.

2)  Show us your work - how you did it, and the Kinship List generated (at least one page of it).

Here’s mine:
I followed Randy’s instructions as I have RootsMagic and have never used this report. This is what I did:

1)  On my "People" action page on the left-hand menu, I highlighted Nathan H.O. Polly (1820-1902). He is my maternal 4th great-grandfather and the 2x-great-grandfather of my Mam-ma.

2)  I clicked on the "Publish" action on the left-hand menu, and then opened "All Reports and Charts"

3)  On the list of Reports, I clicked on "Kinship List."

4)  On the "Kinship List" form I selected Nathan H.O. Polly (1820-1902).

5)  On the "Include?" dropdown menu, I selected "Select From List"

6)  On the "Select From List" menu, I highlighted Nathan H.O. Polly and then clicked "Mark"

7)  On the "Mark" dropdown list, I selected "Descendants of highlighted person" and then "Direct descendants only" and I selected 6 generations. The program then marks all the persons on the list.

8)  Click "OK" and then "Select" and "OK" and the program creates the data for the list.

9)  Back on the "Kinship List" report page, click on "Generate List" at the bottom of the form.

10)  The Kinship List will then show in the right-hand panel of the screen, with the number of pages at the top. I saved it as a Word document.

What I got was almost five pages of an alphabetical list of the descendants of Nathan with the relationship to him listed. Personally, I don’t think this report is useful. If I were to choose just one surname, I could see all the people related to him and how they are related. Since he had but one son, there are not many Polly descendants, only one grandson.

I think a better report is the descendant list showing his descendants by generation. This report also gives lifespan and includes their spouse. Below is a part of that report which includes my grandmother, Pansy Lancaster, aka Mam-ma. If I were to write a genealogy, I would want to work from a chart like this, showing each generation. 

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. Interesting, when I went through RM, I didn't do the Mark List bit and still seemed to come up with a report that worked well for me...I should try again following all the steps at some point. And I agree, overall I prefer Descendant Reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the descendants list is much more useful. I hadn't ever even noticed a Kinship List until Randy gave us this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's usefulness would be knowing how people are related to a person, but one can use the relationship tool to determine that.

      Delete
  3. And I'm another one who had never noticed a kinship list/report until this project. I think the benefit is that it spells out what the relationship is between each individual and the person you chose to begin the list with. But I don't see it as much of a benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Blogiversary & Happy 100th Blog Post!

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Ancestors, You and Technology