Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What Is on Your FamilySearch To-Do List?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)  When was the last time you visited the FamilySearch Library in Salt Lake City, or visited a local FamilySearch Center?

2)  What record collections are on your To-Do List, whether at the FamilySearch Library, a FamilySearch Center, the Full-Text Search feature online, or Digital Microfilm on the Images, or Catalog Link on the FamilySearch.org website?

Here’s mine:
This is simple. On the first and third Wednesdays of the month, I volunteer at the Oakland FamilySearch Center from 4-8 pm. If there is no patron to help, then I work on something of my own, either checking locked films or looking at subscription databases on the FamilySearch computers that I do not subscribe to.

However, the last time I was on the FamilySearch website was Thursday. I began looking at deed indexes for land records in Lewis County, Kentucky on Wednesday while at the Oakland FamilySearch Center. I continued working on them the next day, locating the deeds and transcribing them. I am researching the Polly family, trying to determine the father of NHO Polly, born in 1820. I also recorded tax records of David Polly from 1814, his possible entry into Lewis County.

It is so hard to stay focused. I find a clue and off to another record set. Or I think about using the FamilySearch Labs “every-word” search in deeds and probates. I do record what I find in Word docs so I can bring them all together in a single document when I write up my research.

Many trees name David Polly and Nancy Ford as his parents. Of course, no tree has any sources for that. So, I am attempting to either prove it or disprove it. David Polly was taxed on land on the Cabin Creek watershed. When NHO Polly was first taxed, he was on the Kinniconick Creek watershed and the following year on the Grassy Fork, which feeds into the Kinniconick Creek. Such a tangle to figure out!

I am grateful for FamilySearch and the digital records that I can view either from home or at a FamilySearch Center. They do not have all the records from Lewis County. Just yesterday, I queried the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives to see if they had the circuit court records, which were mentioned in a Polly deed, and they do. Now to decide whether to make a research request or wait until I get to Frankfort next spring after the NGS Conference.


Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. I love it when so many trees list a relationship and not a single one of them includes any documentation. Good luck with your continued search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your volunteer time at the FamilySearch Center. That helps so many people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Blogiversary & Happy 100th Blog Post!

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Ancestors, You and Technology