Favorite Photo -- George Warren Lancaster


This is is a photo of my great-grandfather, George Warren Lancaster, my Mam-ma's father. On the front is written "Bud" at the top and "George Warren My bud" at the bottom. He looks pretty dashing standing in the yard with his bow tie and hat. 

This photo is a photo postcard and has been trimmed. I I cannot read completely what was originally written on the back in pencil, however, my grandmother wrote in dark ink "George Warren Lancaster. Dorothy sent this to me 10-8-2005. She found it in some of her mother's pictures. My father. Pansy L. Johnston." I recognize my grandmother's handwriting.


There are clues in this written description. Dorothy is Pansy's double cousin, Dorothy Loveless. Her parents were William Hutson Loveless and Josephine Hazel Lancaster. Pansy's father was George Warren Lancaster, Josephine's brother and her mother was Lela Ann Loveless, William Hutson's sister, thus making Dorothy and Pansy double cousins.

There is no date written on the back that I can see, so I don't know when it was taken, but it was obviously given to his sister, Jo and that is how Dorothy acquired the photo. This is common. Other relatives tend to have photos of our families because they are passed on for remembrance. Sometimes different branches of a family will have copies of the same photo. That's why it's important to contact other family members to see what photos they have.


The writing in pencil on the back of the card has identified as Warren Lancaster. There are other words, too, but they have been cut off due to the trimming. I see words "this", "write" "this is" "only one" and "Warren Lancaster." There are not enough words to make out the meaning. Perhaps only one card was made and sent to his sister.

I wonder if the photo had been put in a frame for awhile and that was why it was trimmed. I am very happy to have this photo of my great-grandfather.

#52Ancestors-Week 3: Favorite Photo

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle