52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 23: Going to the Chapel

I am working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I’m looking forward to writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Two of my ancestors were ministers.

Nathan H. O. Polly, my four times great-grandfather, was a circuit rider. He was born 27 June 1820 in Kentucky and died 2 November 1902 in Rockwall County, Texas. He was 82 years old.

He was part of the evangelical movement of Churches of Christ or Disciples of Christ. According to his obituary, he baptized about 3000 people and preached for 50 years all over northern Texas.

I found articles about Brother NHO Polly in several newspapers, such as The Christian Messenger. In the 1880s his health was failing and he had cut back on the preaching.


Ebenezer Loveless, my two times great-grandfather, was a Baptist minister in Faulkner County, Arkansas. His ministry was more part-time. He was always listed in census records as a farmer.

To the right, he is shown in the Cadron River with those who have been baptized.


Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle