A Trip to Comanche County, Texas, to View Tombstones

In May of this year, a friend and I took a trip to Dallas, Texas, to spend ten days doing family research. Besides governmental offices, historical societies, and libraries, our trip included trips to cemeteries. We visited six cemeteries in Comanche County, two in Jack County, one in Fannin County, one in Rockwall County, and two in Pontotoc County in Oklahoma. Some of these were for my friend and I don’t have family in Oklahoma or Jack and Fannin County.

Even though the markers have images on Find a Grave, I want my own photos so I can freely use them and not have to take the time to ask permission from the photographer of the image on Find a Grave.

Be sure to take a photo of the entrance with the name of the cemetery before you take photos within the cemetery. Visiting more than one cemetery on a trip will keep the photos separated between cemeteries.

Here is a shot of my friend, Jacqueline, taking a photo of a stone of her family.

The cemeteries I visited and took photos of my ancestor’s (and collateral family) tombstones are listed below. None of the cemeteries had an office or a map. But they were small enough that I found the stones by walking around. I created a list of the people buried in each cemetery from my genealogy database to work from.


Albin Cemetery
Cleo Lucas Moon


Evergreen Cemetery
Rufus A. Johnston
Hettie Johnston
Melissa Huling
Robert Huling
Robert L Johnston
Vesta L Johnston
Florence E Couch
John Water Couch
Emma Johnston
Nina Johnston
Oral D Johnston
Woodie A Johnston 


Hazledell Cemetery
Elizabeth Johnston
Ruben M Johnston
Olivia J Johnston
Ocia King
Fannie Johnston
Loise Johnston
Lola Johnston
Loyd S Johnston
Ruben H Johnston



Oakwood Cemetery

Ruby H Johnston
Coreta Speed
Bert Speed





Union Cemetery

Nell Johnston
Billie L Adcock
P. H. Hutson
Willie Wyatt
Anna P White
Tennie O Hutson
Sarah Hutson
Myrtle Hutson
Lillie Hutson


#52Ancestors-Week 37: Tombstone

This is my seventh year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe.

I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. Good tip to photo the entrance of each cemetery so you can remember which burials belong to which cemeteries! Interesting that one has the year of founding on the name arch too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Blogiversary & Happy 100th Blog Post!

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Ancestors, You and Technology