Who Lived to be Over 100

In my recent lifetime, I knew my maternal grandmother to live to the age of almost one hundred years. She died just two months short. I thought that was a remarkable feat and probably someone in our family who lived the longest.

Well, I tested that theory by running a search in RootsMagic to see if I had anyone who lived to be over one hundred years old. And sure enough, I got a return of six people. I will focus on my mother’s side of the family. That brings the number to three.

My grandmother’s uncle, William Hutson Loveless was born on 1 March 1894 in Arkansas and died on 23 May 1998 in Seminole, Texas. He was 104 years old.

My first cousin, four times removed, Drew Oliver Welch, was born on 15 January 1865 in Copiah Co, Mississippi, and died on 1 January 1969 in Tyler, Texas. He was 103 years old.

My second cousin, three times removed, Thelma Gladys Welch, was born on 3 February 1900 in Brookhaven, Mississippi, and died on 24 September 2002 in Erath County, Texas. She was 102 years old. I met Thelma in the 1990s on a trip to Texas with my grandmother and corresponded with her a few times. She had researched the Welch family and was a member of DAR.

That is some pretty good longevity! Uncle Huts beat them all at 104 years of age. I hope I can have some longevity, too. As long as I am healthy and have a sound mind.

#52 Ancestors: Week 40: Longevity

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle