Week 49-Homemade: The Seamstress

My grandmother, Pansy Louise Lancaster Johnston, the one we all called Mam-ma, was very crafty. She was a very talented seamstress and made many of her own clothes. She even worked for clothing stores taking in alterations.

Here is an example of a dress she made.


Here is another, showing my mother, Lela and her with matching dresses.


Later in life, when she stopped sewing, she would crochet and made many blankets. You can see an example on the chair to the right of Mam-ma.

When she moved to the assisted living place, she liked to sit and embroider. She bought T-shirts and embroidered flowers, crosses, and other symbols on them in a decorative way. It sure kept her busy and she enjoyed giving the shirts to people she cared about. Here is an example of one she made for herself. I think as she got older and it was easier wearing sweat clothes, she wanted to decorate them up.

This is my fourth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. Mam-ma was quite talented. Love that full-skirted pleated dress she made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleated skirt is very nice! I wonder how much fabric and patience it took to piece it together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

4th Anniversary!