Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Did You or Your Children Know Their Great-Grandparents?


It's Saturday Night –

Time for more Genealogy Fun!


Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:
1) Did you or your children know their great-grandparents?  
2) Tell us in your own blog post, or in comments to this post, or in comments on Facebook.  As always, please leave a link to your work in Comments.  

My response:
My daughters knew only one of my grandparents. My maternal grandmother, Pansy Louise (Lancaster) Johnston lived until just over a month short of 100 years. That really increased the chance of my children to have known her. I had both of my children at a later age (mid-thirties), while my grandmother had my mother at age 20 and my mother had me at age 20. If I had had a child at twenty and my daughter also at 20, we might have had five generations living at the same time.

I have a photo of four generations: my grandmother, my mother, myself, and my first daughter, taken on her baptism day. Unfortunately, my mother passed away shortly after my second child was born and a four-generation photo was never taken.


When my grandmother died in 2013, my two daughters were twenty-four and twenty-two, respectively. They visited her often, as she lived in the area.



My other three grandparents died before I married. I never met my paternal grandfather, William Cyril Hork, who died in 1967. My maternal grandfather, Tom J Johnston, died in 1973, and my paternal grandmother, Anne M (Sullivan) Hork, in 1979.


Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. How wonderful that your daughters had so many years to share their lives with Great Grandma. That doesn't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is helpful when the time between generations is short. Their paternal grandfather was the same age as my grandmother.

      Delete
  2. I love four-generation photos! And your daughters were fortunate indeed to have been able to spend so much time visiting with their great-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially since their grandmother had died.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle