Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - How Did Your (Grand) Parents Meet?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 
It's Saturday Night again - time for 
some more Genealogy Fun!!

Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1)  One of our family stories for our descendants should be how we met our spouse.  Another one should be, if we know it, how did our parents meet each other?

2)  This week, let's tell our "parents meeting" story if we know it.  If you don't know that story, tell us another one about one of your relatives meeting their spouse or significant other.

3)  Tell us in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.  Please leave a comment on this blog post to lead us to your answers.

Way back in October 2015, we wrote about this same subject. My post from then is here.

Instead, I’ll write about how my grandparents met.  Pansy Louise Lancaster and Tom J Johnston were married on 15 December 1933 by the Comanche County, Texas, Justice of the Peace.[1] Tom got the license in Hood County but they were married in Comanche County, where Tom’s family was from.

So how did they meet? I asked my grandmother once and she said,
“Tom’s father worked in town as manager of the lumber company. Tom was working as a carpenter and would see me from his perch up on a roof as I walked along the sidewalk to school. He’d whistle at me or talked to me wanting a date. I didn’t agree yet. One day I was walking home (we were living on West Green Street) with two bags of groceries and he offered a ride in his Model T Ford with no roof. I said I didn’t have far to go but he gave me a ride anyway. Later I got a letter in the mail from Tom asking me out on a date for Saturday night. It was the sweetest thing in the world! After several dates Tom also brought me a cat—a yellow-spotted kitten.”
They lived together until Tom’s death in 1973.

What a cute couple!


[1] Hood County, Texas,  Marriage Record, v. I, p. 161, Tom Johnston and Pansy Louise Lancaster (certificate copy). 

Copyright © 2019 by Lisa S. Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family, All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. What a cute story! I love that he also gave her a kitten, as I'm a cat person, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle