52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 13: Homestead: A Cabin in Boulder Creek--MSF

I am working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow. I will write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails Into the Past. I’m looking forward to writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

Boulder Creek is a small community in Santa Cruz County, California. The creek served as a flume in the logging days.

In the 1950s, my grandparents had a cabin in Boulder Creek.  I don’t know if they owned the property or rented it. There was a very nice painting of the cabin but at the moment, the location of the painting is unknown. The last time I saw the painting was before my grandmother passed away in 2013.

However, I do have a photograph. 

I don’t know how long they used the cabin, but later they had a cabin (really a trailer) in Nice at Clear Lake.

The Clear Lake cabin I had visited. One week us four older children spent some time with Mam-ma at this cabin. I remember the big ants (or spider) that bit my brother in the night to swell up us legs. I remember wading in the lake and my brothers trying to swim to the end of the pier. The water had a fishy smell, as if every fisherman dumped fish carcasses in the lake.

The cabin wasn’t too far from town, as we walked there. My siblings might have more members (or better ones). It was just nice getting away on a vacation during summer. It probably gave my mother a few days break, so she only had to deal with the two youngest children. Our family never had a cabin for vacationing.

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle