Fearless Females - Day 8

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."

March 8 — Did one of your female ancestors leave a diary, journal, or collection of letters? Share an entry or excerpt.
Poems written by Lea N Hork, 1954

I do not have a collection of letters, a diary, or journal that any of my female ancestors left.  However, I have some typed stories and poems my mother, Lela Nell Johnston, wrote.  They were simple stories, told by a young author.  I imagine my mother wanted to write more but with six young children, I doubt she could find the time.

Her favorite time of the day to do things for herself was between 4 and 6 AM.  She would get up with my father who had to be at work by 4:30 and then would have all that quiet time alone until us kids got up for school around 6:30 or 7:00 AM.  Then she would then fix us a hot breakfast of oatmeal or cream of wheat.

What I have here today are three of her poems written in the same year I was born.  They are typewritten using a red ribbon!  I didn't know there was such a thing in 1954.  I remember the typewriter.  It was a small manual that sat in a case with a lid.  I remember typing on it until I got an electric typewriter for Christmas.  The keys would jamb if you typed too fast.

Of the three poems, I like "Everything, but this" best.  Poetry has never been my favorite, but my sisters like them and have written some themselves.



Happy reading!


Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

4th Anniversary!