Pansy Louise Lancaster and Lela Nell Johnston, c. 1935-36, correction

* This is a correction to the original post. The photo was misidentified. Corrections are in red below:

I have received digital copies of some photos from a cousin, Judy Magee, who is my first cousin, twice removed. Our common ancestor is Abner Ebenezer Loveless (1851-1929).[1] These photos are a part of her mother, Marvelle Dunn’s collection.

The best of the bunch was the photo of my grandmother, Pansy Louise (Lancaster) Johnston with her mother, Lela Ann (Loveless) Lancaster, daughter, Lela Nell Johnston.
Lela Ann Loveless Lancaster with daughter Pansy Louise, c. 1914/15
Lela Nell Johnston with mother, Pansy Louise (Lancaster) Johnston, c. 1935/36
From Marvelle Dunn Collection; used with permission
We have so few early photos in  our collection, so it was pretty exciting to receive this photo. I had never seen this photo, nor any photo of Pansy as a child and her mother as a young woman. Now I’m glad to share it with the rest of my family.

My sister saw this photo when I posted it on Facebook and said the clothing the woman was wearing couldn't have been in 1914/14. I showed the photo to some friends and they all agreed. Plus the clothing of the child didn't fit that time period either. This is a photo of my grandmother Pansy and my mother, Lela Nell. I see the resemblance of my mother and myself in the woman.

The back of the photo had read "Aunt Lela and Pansy" in one handwriting and color and in another hand and color "Daddy Sister." Someone must have misidentified the photo.

I was really disappointed it wasn't a photo of my great-grandmother and grandmother. I don't have any photos of my grandmother as a young child.



[1] Relationship was calculated using RootsMagic.
[2] Erath County, Texas Marriage Records, Book M, p. 278, Lancaster-Loveless; FHL Film #1428410.
[3] Texas Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Birth Record of Pansy Louise Lancaster, vol. 14, p. 538; film 1428140.
[4] "WW I Draft Registration," database and images, Ancestry.com  (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 28 Jul 2008), George Warren Lancaster.
[5] Erath Co Birth Records, Bk 4a 1917-1922, #548, RD Lancaster, 7/3/1920, Warren Lancaster, farmer & Lela Loveless, 24; FHL film 1428064.
[6] "Texas, Birth Certificates 1903-1932," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : n.d.); citing Texas Department of State Health Services, Erath Co, No. 9758, Carl Lancaster, Jr.
[7] Texas, Erath, Texas Birth Certificates 1903-10 & 1926-29, Footnote.com (http://www.footnote.com), birth certificate no. 31782 (1927), Elda Wayne Lancaster, accessed 26 Apr 2010.
[8] Find A Grave, database with images (http://www.findagrave.com : ), Memorial# 17927060, Upper Greens Creek Cemetery, Erath Co, Texas, Carl Lancaster Jr.
[9] California Department of Health Services, Death Certificates, 001026075, Pansy Louise Johnston, Contra Costa Co, 2013.
[10] Texas Department of Health Bureau of Vital Statistics, death certificate, digital image, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org), #27274, Wichita Co, 1951, Lela Ann Lancaster; citing FHL film 2074696.
[11] Find A Grave, database with images (http://www.findagrave.com : ), Memorial# 17927168, Upper Greens Creek Cemetery, Stephenville TX, Lela Ann Loveless Lancaster. Also photo of tombstone taken by Lisa S. Gorrell, 7 Oct 1995.

Copyright © 2016 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

Locating the Comic Book that Named My Great-Uncle