My mother, Lela Nell Johnston, was born on 21 August 1934. That was a Tuesday. I found it on a website called "What Day of the Week?"
- What day of the week was your Mother born? Tell us how you found out.
- What has happened in recorded history on your Mother's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
- What famous people have been born on your Mother's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
- Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook or Google+.
Historical events that happened on that date in history [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_21]:
- 1680 – Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt.
- 1770 – James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1831 – Nat Turner leads black slaves and free blacks in a rebellion.
- 1888 – The first successful adding machine in the United States is patented by William Seward Burroughs.
- 1959 – United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union. Hawaii's admission is currently commemorated by Hawaii Admission Day
- 1165 – Philip II of France (d. 1223)
- 1754 – William Murdoch, Scottish engineer and inventor, created gas lighting (d. 1839)
- 1904 – Count Basie, American pianist, composer, and bandleader (Count Basie Orchestra) (d. 1984)
- 1930 – Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (d. 2002)
- 1936 – Wilt Chamberlain, American basketball player and coach (d. 1999)
Copyright © 2014 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family