Amy Johnson Crow of No Story Too Small has created a new theme called 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. I think it’s a great way to write about one person. This will help me see what I have and what I’m missing for additional research.
Research Plan for Eliza A. Rogers
- Eliza was born May 1854 in South Carolina (1900 census) or in Georgia (1880 census) or in 1851 (tombstone).
- She married Ebby [Ebenezer] Loveless 19 Mar 1871 in Chattooga County, Georgia.
- She died 27 Aug 1907 in Faulkner County, Arkansas.
- She gave birth to 10 known children, all born in Arkansas [various census].
- Possible child with name close to Eliza and born between 1851 and 1853 are found in the 1860 Chattooga County census with David and Rebecca Rodgers, both born in South Carolina.
- Possible child with name and age close to Eliza found in 1870 census with mother, Rebecca Rogers and two siblings from the 1860 census. Two other brothers living nearby.
- Family tree found online at genealogy.com submitted by Leigh C. Smith stated the parents of Eliza Rogers who married Ebenezer Loveless was David Rogers and Rebecca Waddell. No documentation for the relationship was stated.
- Census records: 1850, 1860, 1870 for David Rogers in South Carolina and Georgia and 1870-1900 and beyond for Rebecca Rogers and Eliza’s siblings in Georgia & Arkansas
- Civil War Confederate records for soldiers from Chattooga County, Georgia
- Land Records in Chattooga County, Georgia
- Probate Records in Chattooga County, Georgia for David Rogers
- Guardianship Records in Chattooga County, Georgia for David Rogers’ children
- Obituary records for Eliza and her siblings
- Marriage records for Eliza’s siblings and mother, Rebecca
- Family trees online for clues
- Search for all census years for all siblings of Eliza and for mother, Rebecca, beginning with 1870
- Search land records in Chattooga County for David Rogers and later Rebecca Rogers. When did he buy? When did she sell? Was land divided among heirs? [Deeds and mortgages with general index, direct and reverse, 1839-1902; Direct index, A-Z 1839-1937 film 337232; Reverse index A-Z 1839-1937, film 337233;]
- Search probate for David Rogers. [on survey of films at FHL, appears that estate papers are loose and only estates up to the letter N are available both by film and online.] Need to investigate other films such as bonds, etc.
- Search guardianship set up for minor children. [Probate records, administration and guardian letters and bonds, inventories, sales bill, vouchers, support, etc., 1865-1929, various films 337213-17]
- Search Confederate records for enlistment for David Rogers. Search casualty records. Search for any histories of regiments or units he may have served in. [Veterans of Civil and European wars, 1861-1960, Confederate roster 1861-1863, film 337228]
- Search marriage records in Chattooga for children of David and Rebecca: Mary, Mark, Perry, Toliver, Martha, Amanda, Emma, George. Search for possible remarriage of Rebecca.
- Check cemetery records in Chattooga County for any of the Rogers.
- Search for possible newspapers in Chattooga County: news of David’s death, marriage of children or mother, probate, etc.
- Check for court records in Chattooga County, Georgia. [Inferior Court Jan 1839 - May 1867, film 337204, Ordinary Court Jun 1867 - Apr 1894, film 337205]
 1880 U.S. census, Arkansas, Faulkner Co, Hardin twp, ED 57, sht 33, dwl 261, fam 261, Ebineezer Loveless, Ancestry.com, digital images (http://www.ancestry.com), citing National Archives and Records Administration, publication T9; and 1900 U.S. census, Arkansas, Faulkner Co, East Fork Township, East Fork Township, ED 29, sht 12B, dwl 201, fam 204, A. Ebenezer Loveless, digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: 19 Nov 2011) citing National Archives and Records Administration, T623, n.d.).
 Chattooga County Marriages, Georgia's Virtual Vault (cdm.sos.state.ga.us), digital images, citing Georgia State Archives, Bk 1a, 1861-1880, p 156, Ebby Loveless & E.A. Rodgers, 1871.
 "Find A Grave," database and digital images, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), Memorial# 7491 413, Springhill Cemetery, Faulkner Co AR, Eliza Loveless.
 1860 Chattooga Co, Georgia, Chattooga Valley Twp, p 565b (stamped), dwl 265, fam 265, David Rodgers, digital image, ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com : accessed 14 Oct 2013), citing NARA roll M653_116.
 1870 US census, Chattooga Co, Georgia, Broomtown PO, 968 Dist, p 166, p 153b (stamped), dwl 231, fam 231, Rebecca Rogers, digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : 14 Oct 2013), citing NARA M593_142.
 Leigh C. Smith, "Descendants of Daniel Rogers," website, My Southern Ancestors (familytreemaker.genealogy.com : accessed 14 Oct 2013), David(3) Rogers born abt 1826 & married Rebecca Waddell.
Copyright © 2014 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family