Fearless Females - Day 7

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family." 

March 7 — Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother’s kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don’t have one that’s been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.

When I was married, my mother, Lea Hork, made a recipe-photo album for me.  She typed up her favorite recipes, added personal comments about the recipe, and then clipped them.  She then made a scrapbook full of photos from my childhood and included the favorite recipes.  As each of us kids were married, she'd make another album for them.  My youngest sister was married after my mother passed away, so I carefully made an album for her, copying what my mother had done for me.

I still have the album, although I took it apart because it was one of those magnetic photo albums and I didn't want the photos to be ruined.  Luckily for me, the magnetic part of the album "released" and now of the photos were "stuck" between the back and plastic.

The book especially comes out at Thanksgiving so I can make Cornbread Stuffing for the turkey.  This is the Southern way of making stuffing.  I find typical sage dressing just too wet for my tastes.  Our Thanksgiving Dinners included: turkey, giblet gravy, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, peas with pearl onions, garlic French bread, and cranberry sauce.  Pumpkin and mince meat pies were for dessert.

My mouth's watering just thinking about it!

Lea's Southern Cornbread Stuffing: (suitable for 20 lb turkey)




Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, Mam-ma's Southern Family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last One Standing: Reginald F. Lancaster

John Coor of Copiah County Made an Agreement with Joel Hoggatt

4th Anniversary!